Friday, July 12, 2013

Walking In The Love Of God


Heaven and earth will pass away,
but My words will by no means pass away.
But take heed to yourselves. Lest your hearts
be weighed down with carousing,
drunkenness, and cares of this life, and
that Day come on you unexpectedly.
For it will come as a snare on all those
who dwell on the face of the earth.
Watch therefore, and pray always that
you may be counted worthy to escape
all these things that will come to pass,
And to stand before the Son of Man.
Luke 21:33–36

            As I ponder and meditate upon God and His word I am filled with amazement and wonder.  God, God, Just, Merciful, Patient, and Goodness does not step into my life and force me to change to His will.  He allows me to be what He made me, human.  I can live, laugh, cry, enjoy this earth and all that is in it, and as I face the trials and temptations, those times of persecution, I am not forced to be anything but human.  Yes, it is true that God elected His children before time began, this is found in Scripture, although many would deny this fact, and though elected by God He still allows me to be human.  I make mistakes, I make wrong choices, I face consequences from my good and bad choices and even the brunt of others and their choices, but in all this, I am still human.  My meditation, not some emptying of my mind, as some teach, in the Church. Some Seminaries, and Christian Universities, rather a pondering over His words in His Scripture whereby He reveals to me, a human with all the good and bad of being human, His patience and love towards me so that I can choose to live according to what He in His love has revealed.  The object of God’s patience is with man and secondarily to those creatures who are to be under our control.  The patience that God spares man extended to lower creatures is due to the patience God gives to man.  The lower animals due not injure God, as does man, therefore are not the objects of His patience, but as they are forfeited by man, and man deserves to be deprived of them; as man in this regard falls under the patience of God, so do those creatures which are designed for man’s good.  This is our God, all Goodness resides in Him and due to His patience with man, even though man does not deserve His patience, all creatures fall under God’s patience. All created things are under the Mercy and Goodness, and His patience. The object of God’s goodness, then, is the whole creation, not the devils in hell, but as a creature is a mark of His goodness, but not of His patience. There is a sort of sparing of those devils and a deferring of their destruction and punishment, yet there is a day coming in which God will no longer spare them, or any of His creation that is opposed to Him.  God is longsuffering, but God does have a day in mind when His patience will have run its course and He will act to remove all sin from His creation.  Heaven and earth will pass away: this is not just a promise, it is a fact, and we are not to be so concerned with this fact, it will occur.  We must attend to our lives, our humanity that God has allowed to live as humans and not as a robot simply under His control.  God is patience: yes!  God is good: yes!  God is love: yes!  But God is Just, Holy, and demands that His holiness be not denigrated by what His creation does in all the life that He has given them.  To be Love, Good, Merciful, and Patient; God has given us His word, and prayer.  We can communicate with God and He listens and attends to our requests according to His will and purpose.  We are not left destitute.  We have Him.  Did He not come to earth, The Son of God?  Did He not pay the price needed to satisfy the debt that we cannot pay?  So, why is it that we need to add so much to His written word; i.e., images, things of veneration, and fight over such things as when and how to conduct the Lord’s Supper, or what manner should a person be baptized?  Why do some argue that there is a need for a second baptism of the Holy Spirit when Scripture does note even allude to such?  Are we not to adhere to what Scripture speaks and nothing else?  Are we not to live according to His Ten Commandments, reiterated by Jesus Christ when He spoke: “Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:37–39).
            As I ponder and meditate upon His word He reminds me that I, a human being, created by God, and have His patience, who has His election to salvation, that I am responsible to what He has instructed: “But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand” (Matthew 7:26).  But the greatness of God teaches me His will, gives to me His Holy Spirit to guide me in my study of His word, in my prayers, and in all that I do, furthermore, God has saved my by Himself, the Son of God, Jesus Christ.  So I ask myself and you: on what are you building your home?

Also I say to you,
            Whoever confesses
Me before men, him the
            Son of Man also will
Confess before the angels of God.
                                    Luke 12: 8

Love God by all you do

Richard L. Crumb

No comments:

Post a Comment