Wednesday, May 29, 2013

No Excuses: Conversion Does Not Allow For This


And another also said, “Lord, I will follow You,
but let me first go and bid them farewell
who are at my house.”
But Jesus said to him, “No one, having
put his hand to the plow,
and looking back, is fit
for the kingdom of God.”
Luke 9:61–62

            God has revealed to those who will read His word His will and His commands for His children.  God furthermore uses pastors and teachers to teach how to apply pragmatically what He has revealed and His commands; that is if the teacher or pastor is presenting God’s word and not his own opinions.  This is our job, to know His word, and then, trust your leader, your pastor, your teacher, but, but, verify.  There came someone who said what we so often say: “Now it happened as they journeyed on the road, that someone said t Him, “Lord, I will follow You wherever You go” (Luke 9:57). Maybe we are like the man in a familiar story; a man in an airplane that had major troubles and seemed as though it was going to crash so the man prayed that if God would save him he would follow Him wherever He wanted him to go.  The airplane miraculously did not crash and upon departing from the airplane the man who prayed for salvation looked to the sky and made another deal with God.  How often after our decision to believe on Jesus Christ and even go through baptism and have such an emotional response to our salvation and then soon a new deal is made and you do not follow Jesus Christ as you promised.  We find all kinds of excuses not to do what God has revealed to us, those commands that He demands of His children.  Oh!  Lord!  I read what you demand, but before I do this I must do this or that, I must go to this or that, I must make the changes is me by going to this or that, I must, I must, I must.  God has told us what He wills for our life but when God allows us to go through a test of our faith, our common sense is taxed. Let me ask this question, not only of you but of me: What are you going to do?  Become apathetic and hang back, go back as the man in the opening Scripture said: “…but let me first go and bid them farewell who are my house.”  You came to Jesus with a contrite heart and there is no doubt that you desired to follow Him, but the trials of life has driven you away to make another deal, a putting off what is commanded. I will use an example of our making of excuses to not do what God has commanded, in fact, we have even made some theological excuses for not doing what God so clearly commanded.  We do everything we can and repent when we do not follow God’s commands; i.e., do not covet; do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not have other gods, honor your father and mother, do not murder, all these we keep as though we have done the will of God. Yes, in those cases we have do so, but, there is one command in the list of commands God has revealed to us: “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy” (Exodus 20:8). God, I know what I said, that I would follow You, but before I can do all what You have asked I must take care of my family and have family time, we do own a boat and I only have Saturday and Sunday to spend much time with them, so I must take them out onto the lake and play, and laugh, and enjoy this time, but, but, I know what you have asked and as soon as the children are gone from the house I will make Sunday a special day to you, but until then the deal is that I will come to Church as often as I can, I will read your word as often as I can, I will meditate upon You and make the Sabbath, Sunday, a day of rest.  I know that you will understand, right?
            Suppose, just suppose that you do obey God in this matter, as well as other commands, is it that you will obey if God will allow you to use your common sense?  Is it that you are afraid to trust God and take steps into the dark?  Let this be your understanding; Jesus did not ask us to you our common sense in obeying Him, for our common sense is not of God but rather is defiled by the corruption of sin, and we will make all kinds of excuses as to why we do what we do and why we do not have the faith to follow Him wherever, and whatever He asks of us. We take risks in many things in life with little thought; are you willing to risk all for Jesus Christ?  If a person is to do anything worthwhile, there will be of necessity to take a risk, risking everything and this is what Jesus Christ asks and demands of His bride, God’s children, those He elected before time and we are to leap into what He says, and we are to immediately do this and when we do this we find that the Holy Spirit is in us and aiding us to do the will and commands of God. What is your common sense based on, its foundation, you, or on God?  This may seem mad, silly, impossible; take them to Jesus Christ in faith, this faith that led you to make a decision to follow Him and do not allow your common sense excuses keep you from doing what God has commanded. Do you believe Him as you have said?  How often we act as pagans in a crisis, our willing to hold on to that which God has so clearly, so plainly revealed to us in His word.  Are you willing, daring enough to place your faith in the character of God?

He who hears you hears Me,
            He who rejects you
Rejects Me, and he who rejects Me
            Rejects Him who sent Me.
                                    Luke 10:16

Allow Jesus Christ seen in you

Richard L. Crumb

No comments:

Post a Comment