Monday, May 19, 2014

Learning The Role Of Authentic Christians In Fighting False Teaching


"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"
(1 Thessalonians 5:21: KJV; 1611 edition)
Beloved, do not believe every spirit,
But trie the spirits, whether they are of God:
Because many false prophets are gone out
into the world.
(1John 4:1: KJV; 1611 edition)
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true,
Whatever things are honest,
Whatever things are just,
Whatever things are pure,
Whatever things are lovely,
Whatever things are of good report:
If there bee any virtue, and if there bee
Any praise, think on these things.
(Philippians 4:8: KJV; 1611 edition)

            I chose the 1611 edition of the King James version Bible because their choice of words is closer to the Greek then our English words especially since many of us don't really understand our English grammar.  In first Thessalonians 5:21 where the word in the new King James's "test" the Greek word which is: δοκιμάζετε, and is also the same word can be found in 1John 4: 1 is in the second person plural present indicative active and carries the meaning to prove by trial; to test, to prove, try, examine, scrutinize, to put to the prove, a prove after trial, to judge worthy, to decide upon after examination to discern.  Therefore, due to its grammatical structure we are to be at all-time testing and examining all things especially those things that are being taught as true Christianity.  As believers in Jesus Christ we are to prove or test all things.  And this will include, those things in which I have been writing about, the use of gifts, and that which the modern charismatic movement has come to believe is what the true Church ought to have and be doing, those things that have brought great contention within the Christian religion.  We are to test all things by the Word of God because the Word of God is our only infallible rule and measuring device.  Of course for this to be true, one must believe that the holy Scriptures are the providentially preserved Word of God and has the same force and authority is that which the writers of the Bible wrote and not just as some believe that the only inviolability of Scripture is with the autograph, or the original writings.  This is a fallacy!  Take for example the original Constitution of the United States, the very piece of paper with the very words written by the very ink by the men formed and wrote this document.  Now take it down to Kinko's and make a copy of it.  Does the copy have the same force and authority as the original?  Yes!  Therefore that argument does not hold water.  Due to the contentions in contradictions within the Christian church over the charismatic movement we need to see whether or not that movement lines up with the inerrant Word of God.  Now I have examined the Scriptures and especially in writing about the Corinthian church and about Paul speaking about the gifts of the Spirit.  And I have not found in one case anywhere in the Bible where Christians were ordered or commanded to act as the Corinthian church acted and the fact that we find that same exercise within those churches who believe in the special unction of those gifts: the modern charismatic movement or Pentecostal movement.  In discussing this many people will have their "hackles" stand erect and may even avoid to read or examine what is being written and to test by the holy Scriptures, rather they will continue to say that what is being written is wrong therefore they ignore what the Bible has told us to test and prove.  The approach must be a doctrinal approach: that is as Paul instructed: "For what does a Scriptures say..."  (Romans 4: 3a).  Therefore as we study about the Corinthian church in all the problems that Paul was having to address we are then attempting to find out whether not any teaching is in or out of harmony with the Word of God which plainly contradicts what the Scriptures teach and if so then we must label that as erroneous and false.  Our conclusions that we form must be based upon objective truth, that is upon the plain facts of God's Word.  We must not base our conclusion upon our subjective feelings and personal experiences.  We cannot simply say, "it must be true because it happened to me"; "I know that speaking in tongues is for today because I have spoken in tongues"; "I know that speaking in tongues is valid because I know someone who speaks in tongues"; "I know that God has special healers today because my best friend was healed by one of them."  How often have I been told the very things and expected to believe that what I have been told is true which is so often nothing more than subjective experiences but not based upon the objective truth of God's Word.  Well here it is: if I am a true authentic Christian desiring to ensure that what I believe and teach, and demonstrate, regardless of my personal experiences, I am going to test all things by the Word of God and I am going to agree with what God has said even though what I have found seems to contradict what I have experienced or felt or what has happened to me or others whom I know.
            I may be stepping on toes here but please don't walk away from God's Word and if you feel as though I am writing in error I accept all comments in our comments section and will diligently study what has been told me before I make any conclusion of that conclusion will be made upon the word of God.  I look forward to what anyone may say that I look forward to studying the Word of God.

Beloved, while I was very diligent
to write to you concerning
our common salvation, I found it necessary
            to write to you exhorting you
to contend earnestly for the faith which
            was once for all delivered to the saints.
                                    Jude 1: 3

Contend for the faith

Richard L. Crumb

No comments:

Post a Comment