Monday, April 14, 2014

Learning To Live Authentically For Jesus Christ


Do you not know that those who minister
the holy things eat of the things of the temple,
and those who served at the altar partake
of the offerings of the altar?
Even so the Lord has commanded that those
who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.
But I have used none of these things, nor have I
written these things that it should be done
so to me; for it would be better for me to die
then that anyone should make my boasting void.
1 Corinthians 9:13 -- 15

            Paul had only one thing on his mind and that thing drove him in all that he did and said, therefore, those who would attempt to bring reproach upon him would not have any cause to do so.  Paul has had to endure those who would speak against him due to his past, those things that he did against the Christians, and would not now admit that he had truly converted to Jesus Christ.  It is always easy to point to one’s past and say that what they are doing now must not actually be a conversion.  Paul previously pointed out that he was a true apostle for he had seen the Lord Jesus Christ, and now he is pointing out that even as the priest had the right to eat of the meat brought to them for sacrifice, so too he had this same right to have use of any offerings for his service.  Paul reminded the Corinthian Christians that even though he had the right to receive monetary gain because he was preaching he did not demand that right.  It is not wrong for a preacher or other people who are working in churches to have income; rather it is not right for them to demand, or to just expect to have income because they are preaching.  We as brothers and sisters in Christ are to care for those who are in need no matter who they are and it is appropriate to pay our pastors and others to work in the church a salary.  Once again, Paul is speaking about something we must remember that it is all it is about our motives.  For Paul the most important thing for him was to preach the gospel. Is this true of you? He had nothing to boast of: "For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!  For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship" (1 Corinthians 9: 16 -- 17).  Paul had been entrusted by God to preach the gospel to the Gentiles (Galatians 2: 7) whereby even Peter had been entrusted to bring the gospel especially to the Hebrew.  Paul was very aware that he could easily abuse this power given to him by God to preach the gospel: "What is my reward them?  That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel" (1 Corinthians 9: 18).  This attitude of Paul, not to demand any charge for his preaching, for his way of life was accomplished by his tent making income. This does not mean that there were not certain supplies given to him over the course of his ministry, rather he was not abusing his power demanding that which was not necessary as he did when he needed his coat.  The principle here is that preaching the gospel is more important than our concern about our income, whether you be, as it's called a layman, or a pastor.  But, when examining some of the preachers, especially in what is called the mega-churches we find that the pastors have incomes that are in the millions of dollars, and that they live in huge mansions.  I did a study of those who are in such positions and found this to be very true that rather than living economically, they are living a life great luxury as though they deserve it because they are pastors of these huge churches.  Paul has spoken about not becoming a stumbling block.  But is this not true that many people will look upon such living as a stumbling block.  When this type of person who is living in such a life is approached about this there are many excuses, and reasons given for doing so, even though they will point out that they do give away some money to the poor or to other missions.  Now I am not advocating that a person must live in squalor wall or in some aesthetic lifestyle to be a preacher of the gospel, no, what I am saying is we must make sure that we are not a stumbling block and that the most important priority in our lives is the spreading of the gospel.  If we truly believe that the Lord God Jesus Christ will care for us under any circumstances, is this not true also of our needs?  Will not Jesus Christ provide?  How often all of us are more concerned about the things of this world and whether we are looked down upon because we are somehow different. We become so concerned whether or not we are dressing in the latest fad, or attending the latest concert, or having the latest car or the latest and newest and biggest house. We give excuses and reasons for doing so, and yet we are not reading our Bible every day, and we are not teaching our children, praying with them and with our spouses but feel as though we have this "right."  What is more important in your life, you, or the spreading of the gospel: "For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, then I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not been without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak, I became as weak, that I might win the weak.  I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some" (1 Corinthians 9: -- 22). Winning souls for God, is not just for those called of God to a special service, we too are to spread the Gospel. We cannot except some things that are written in the Bible and reject others because they don't fit what we believe or wish to believe, rather we are to accept all things written by God for his word has been inspired to be written by men for all Christians in all times.  Once again what and who holds a priority in your life?  The answer to this question will determine not only your maturity in Christ, it may determine whether or not you are truly converted to Jesus Christ and are only hoping to be somehow "good" enough to be accepted by Him.  Only you, or I, and answer this question.

O God, You know my foolishness;
            and my sins are not hidden from You.
Let not those who wait for You, O Lord God of hosts,
be ashamed because of me; let not those
who seek You be confounded because of me,
            O God of Israel.
                                    Psalm 69: 5 -- 6

Draw near to God: live for Him

Richard L. Crumb

No comments:

Post a Comment